Saturday, January 21, 2012

Our Heritage

Hello everyone!  This is Katie Gordon, David's wife.  David has graciously let me write a post today as this verse has really touched me.

Deuteronomy 6: 4-9 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.  And those words which I command you today shall be in your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your children and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.  You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.  You shall write them on your doorposts of your house and on your gates.
Do you like to hunt or fish?  Well....I know that I do and I have my Dad to thank for that (Thank you Dad)!  Most studies today tell us that almost everyone who likes to hunt or fish were first exposed by a parent or relative.  I can recall one of the first time I went hunting (I don’t know if it was my first time or not, but it sticks the most).  My Dad took me and my brother Clint Dove hunting with our Britney dogs and I got to take my B-B gun!  As we got to the pasture and set up in the tall grass our dogs went on point and when we gave them the signal the birds flew.  My Dad, Brother, and I all started shooting, WOW what an experience!  When we went to go pick up the dead birds, my Dad brought one to me and said “look Katie you got one”, and it had been shot through the eye.  Now we all know that I didn’t really shoot that bird with my B-B gun, but my Dad made me feel awesome during that moment and created a passion in me for hunting.  But no matter who taught you how to hunt or fish, they still passed on a bit of their life to you.

Despite our outdoor heritage, the greatest heritage we could posses is a relationship with God, and my Dad passed this on to me as well.  He made sure he took us to church every Sunday.  Deuteronomy says that you must instill the word of God in your children in everything you do.  As with our outdoor heritage, we must be diligent to pass along this heritage to the next generation.  So the next time you take your children or for that matter any child hunting or fishing take the time to start instilling the word of God in their hearts.  If you need a place to start, look no further than God’s creation.  Tell them how God created everything around them.


Tell us about one of your first hunting or fishing experience you remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment